ASI Museum Khajuraho

Museum History

With keen interest and initiative of W.E. Jardine, the then Political Agent of Bundelkhand, the loose sculptures and other cultural remains were collected from the ruined temples and preserved in an enclosure which laid the foundation of museum in the year 1910. This thoughtful collection still continues to be known as Jardine Museum. However, the present museum near the market complex, conceptualized in 1952, after the Archaeological Survey of India took over its charge, is known as Archaeological Museum, which is the museum open to public .

The displayed antiquities are primarily associated with the Chandella’s, a powerful medieval dynasty which ruled over the region around Khajuraho, anciently known as Kharjura-vahaka the religious capital of the times .

The main stay of the museum is the collection of Brahmanical, Jaina sculptures and architectural parts of the temples. A good number of well carved sculptures are exhibited in the present museum, in a modern display concept.

It consists of five galleries, a Varandah and the gateways. The galleries are named as Main Hall and Veradah display, Jaina Gallery, Vaisnava Gallery, Miscellaneous Gallery, Saiva Gallery. The museum possesses more than three thousand sculptures and architectural member of which about 110 are on display. The antiquities are ranging from 9th to 12th Cent. A.D. which throws significant light on social-cultural aspect of the region.



back to top